|Descriptor||PAC Trial||Empower Trial||PESO Trial|
- Participants randomized to 2 groups (statistician-created sequence): BPAC = brief or IPAC = intensive).|
- Stratified by gender & age.
- 13 leisure centres with EoP randomized to 2 arms (statistician-created sequence): standard practice (control) or SDT-based intervention|
- Stratified by Primary Care Trust (PCT) and deprivation of
|Participants from 3 annual cohorts randomized (Excel 2007 random number generator function) to 2 groups: experimental (SDT-based intervention) or control.|
- BPAC (control) by HCP.|
- IPAC by PA counsellor (part of health care team; exercise science degree).
- Control/intervention: HFAs at community leisure centres.|
- HFAs: Level 3 National Occupational Standards.
Intervention (staff): 6 Ph.D. or M.S. level exercise physiologists, nutritionists, dieticians, & psychologists.|
Control: invited lecturers
- BPAC (HCP): 3 training seminars (SDT-based delivery of first 4A's of 7A's model; )|
- IPAC (PA counsellor): 2-month autonomy-support & MI training (last 3 A's) + counselling skills + bi-weekly supervision.
- Control HFAs: Training Day One (see ) + 2nd training meeting (on topic of recruitment).|
- Intervention HFAs: Training Day One & Two + 1/2 day (theory, client-centered communication, creating autonomy-supportive climate).
- Intervention staff: 2-day-long workshop and 4-6 training meetings provided by in-house SDT experts and by one external MI expert.|
- Control: no specific weight control or behavior change/SDT training
- IPAC: BPAC + intensive 3-month PA-counselling (last 3 A's; 6 sessions, every 2 weeks).|
- IPAC sessions: 3 in-person, 3 conducted by phone; see  for format/order of sessions).
- Control/intervention: initial 1 hour consultation + 3-month program (6-month follow-up).|
- One-on-one contacts (3) each month; telephone or in-person; intended: 5 to 30 min per contact.
- Consistent across groups.|
- One-year intervention (group-based); 2-year follow-up.
- Thirty (29 for control) weekly or bi-weekly sessions of 120-min each.
|Control group||BPAC: 2-4 minute PA intervention delivered by HCP (first 4 A's of 7A's + PA prescription).||Standard practice (control) of each EoP leisure centre provided by HFA without SDT training.||General health education curriculum (themed courses including stress management, food safety and preventive nutrition, interpersonal relationships, etc.).|