|Descriptor||PAC Trial||Empower Trial||PESO Trial|
|Main SDT components||
- The PAC 7A's model of behavioural counseling steps  shared between HCP & PA counselor (autonomy-supportive)|
- First 4 A's (BPAC): Address, Ask, Advice, & Assess/Agree (with PA prescription).
- Last 3 A's (IPAC): Assess, Assist, and Arrange.
- IPAC: values interview b, PA goals (discuss, support, encourage), problem solving (barriers), enjoyment enhancement, discussing relapse & suggestions for maintenance.
- Autonomy supportive protocol for health counsellors .|
- Individualized discussions: risk/benefits, integration of PA with life valuesb, perceptions of barriers/resources for change.
- HFA: listening, parroting/paraphrasing, handling resistance, double sided reflection. b
- Failure normalization & recalibration of implementation plans (HFA & patient together).
- Targeting feelings during PA.
- HFA support of patient internalisation of PA involvement.
- Promoting sense of ownership & an internal locus of causality: choice & self-initiation, congruence of values, life goals, lifestyles.b|
- Structure: safety, goals, PA monitoring, barriers, positive feedback (informational).
- Provision of options and decisions for PA; encouraging enjoyment, self-initiation, & independent problem solving.
-Exploration of participants' own motivations & goals.
|Main SDT outcomes||
(i) Quantity of motivation; (ii) perceived competence; (iii) autonomous motivation; (iv) PA motivation/regulations;|
(v) perceptions of autonomy support (climate)
(i) PA motivation/regulations;|
(ii) perceptions of PA-based needs satisfaction (competence, autonomy, relatedness);
(iii) perceptions of autonomy support (climate);
|(i) Perceptions of need-support (climate); (ii) treatment & exercise autonomous regulations; (iii) PA participation motives; (iv) locus of causality; (v) perceived competence & enjoyment for PA.|
|Main SDT-based measures||
(i) graded approach;a (ii) per- ceived competence in exercise scale ; (iii) TSRQ ;|
(iv) BREQ-2 ; (v) HCCQ .
|(i) BREQ-2 ; (ii) Psy-chological Needs in Exercise Scale ; (iii) HCCQ .||(i) HCCQ ; (ii) Treatment and Exercise Self-Regulation Questionnaire [64, 65]; (iii) EMI-2 ; (iv) the Exercise Locus of Causality scale ; (v) Intrinsic Motivation Inventory .|
|Assessment time points||BPAC & IPAC: Baseline, 6-, 13-, 19-, & 25-weeks||Control/intervention: Baseline, 3- & 6-months||Control/intervention: baseline, 4- months, 1-, 2-, & 3-year|